Mission Statement and Goals for the Department of Mathematics
Our primary missions include:
- creating original mathematical theorems and scholarship;
- teaching fundamental mathematics to students in all fields;
- training majors in a flexible program, attractive to undergraduates seeking to apply mathematics in a wide range of fields/industries as well as those considering careers as mathematicians;
- developing graduate students for careers in mathematical research, teaching, industry, and government;
- mentoring postdoctoral instructors for careers in academic mathematics;
- reaching out to the community, through programs for high school students and teachers.