Activities during the school day for the lead teachers include:
- collaborative planning with mathematics teachers;
- co-teaching with mathematics teachers;
- demonstration teaching;
- leading study groups or seminars with fellow teachers on mathematics concepts or instructional strategies; and
- working with students, teachers, mathematics department chairs (if
they are not lead teachers themselves), administrators, and guidance
counselors to increase student interest in taking advanced mathematics
courses, and promoting higher student achievement for all students.
Continued development of lead teachers OUTSIDE of the school day
- Lead teachers meet monthly after school with MLI's management team to report on their activities, to discuss successes and struggles, and to plan future school activities. School administrators are invited to selected meetings. Lessons and activities are presented and shared with the group and made available online.
- Lead teachers and their students attend meetings and participate in activities with members of the Rice University Professional Development Group (PDO) of the Institute for Advanced Study/Park City Mathematics Institute (PCMI). The PCMI PDO plans and implements mathematical events for both teachers and their students throughout the greater Houston area.
- Lead teachers develop and organize curriculum materials that emphasize
connections between current trends in research mathematics and the
high school mathematics course sequence. These materials as developed
will be made available online.