- MLI was well represented at the NCTM Annual Meeting and Exposition held
in San Diego, California, April 22-24, 2010. MLI Director Anne Papakonstantinou
and MLI Co-Manager Richard Parr presented "Searching for Solutions
to Solution Sets." In addition, Naomi Molina de Wood and Christie
Ginson, Lead Teachers at Chavez High School, presented "Energy -
the Sixth E: Enhancing the Five-E Model with Whistles and Bells"
with their colleague Juanita Ramos.
- MLI Director Anne Papakonstantinou, MLI Manager Richard Parr, and HISD
Director for Secondary Mathematics Monica Kendall presented "A Lesson
Study Project: Connecting Theory and Practice Through the Development
of an Exemplar Video for Algebra I Teachers and Students" at the
National Council for Supervisors of Mathematics Annual Conference in San
Diego, California on April 20, 2010. The presentation focused on the collaboration
between RUSMP and HISD utilizing Mathematics Leadership Institute Lead
Teachers to develop a Lesson Study video that was used to guide collaborative
planning for all Algebra I teachers in HISD.
- Richard Parr presented the paper "The Rice University School Mathematics
Project/ Houston Independent School District Lesson Study Project."
at the National Science Foundation MSP Learning Network Conference in
Washington, DC on January 25, 2010. In addition, RUSMP presented a poster
highlighting the work of the Mathematics Leadership Institute at the conference.
- The 5th Summer Leadership Institute was held June 8- July 2, 2009 at
Pin Oak Middle School. The
2009 summer colloquium schedule is now available.
- Anne Papakonstantinou, Jackie Sack, and Richard Parr presented the paper
of Texas Master Mathematics Teachers Through the Rice University Mathematics
Leadership Institute. at the National Science Foundation MSP Learning
Network Conference in Washington, DC on January 27, 2009.
- MLI Lead Teachers attended the presentation by Professor Andrew Wiles, famed for proving Fermat's Last Theorem, November 11, 2008. His presentation, The Story of an Equation, part of the Rice University President's Lecture Series was also attended by several students from MLI schools. View photos from this event.
- MLI had several representatives that were speakers at the Conference
for the Advancement of Mathematics Teaching in Dallas, Texas on July
9-11, 2008. Presentations from MLI directors and lead teachers included
Is There Life after Linear Functions? (Anne Papakonstantinou),
Exploring Conics with Graphing Technology (Richard Parr),
3-D Visualization: Why? When? How? (Irma Vazquez and Jackie Sack),
Crossing the River with Cows (Ronee Finch),
A Potpourri of Problems from the Press (Anne Papakonstantinou),
Whatever IT Takes; How Professional Communities Respond When Kids Donít Learn (Bobby Beatty),
Translate Your Face (Ronee Finch), and
Using TAKS Stems to Develop Differentiated Problem Sets (Jackie Sack and Richard Parr).
- The 4th Summer Leadership Institute was held June 9 - July 2, 2008. See the 2008 Summer colloquium schedule and the photo gallery.
- Ngozi Kamau, Michael Roberts and Jackie Sack represented MLI at the 40th Annual National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics Conference in Salt Lake City from April 7 to April 9, 2008. See their presentation, titled Developing and Supporting High School Mathematics Lead Teachers: Insights into a University/School District Leadership Collaboration.
- Anne Papakonstaninou, Jackie Sack, Ngozi Kamau, John Polking and Carlos Barron represented RUSMP and MLI at the National Science Foundation MSP Learning Network Conference in Washington, DC on January 28 and 29, 2008. See Jackie's and Ngozi's presentation, titled The Impact of the Lead Teacher Professional Learning Community.
- MLI was the Featured Project for the week of January 10 in MSP News at MSPNet. MSPNet is an electronic learning community for the Math and Science Partnership Program, and is supported by the National Science Foundation and the Center for School Reform at TERC.
- MLI was featured in the Fall 2007 edition of Rice at Large. Thanks to MLI, the number of teachers with Texas Master Mathematics Teacher (8-12) Certification has increased by more than 50%. Rice at Large is a publication of the Office of Minority Community Affairs and the Office of the Associate Provost of Rice University.
- MLI's effect on the number of Master Mathematics teachers in Texas was also recognized by The Greentree Gazette, a bimonthly business magazine for higher education. The article, "Boosting Student Achievement in Math and Science," also notes that students of MLI teachers performed on a higher level on state and national standardized tests than students of other teachers. The article goes on to point out that this academic improvement is reflected across the board, with increases in both the number of students passing and the number of students achieving commended status.
- MLI was represented by Jackie Sack and Ann McCoy at the 29th Annual Meeting of PME-NA, the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education. The meeting was held at Lake Tahoe, Nevada from October 25 to 28. See their presentation and the supporting paper.
- In October, 2007 a Geocadabra user's group (hosted by Google) was created to facilitate communication among users of Geocadabra, an interactive software that encourages geometric exploration created by Ton Lecluse. The user's group is an online community created in order for those who are using or trying out Geocadabra to communicate with one another about cool things they've done, questions about how to do something, lessons that incorporate Geocadabra, or any other Geocadabra-related topic. If you haven't done so yet, download the software and activities, and then join the user's group!
- MLI Director Dr. Anne Papakonstantinou and Co-Manager Richard Parr were featured speakers at the Conference for the Advancement of Mathematics Teaching in San Antonio, Texas on June 30, 2007. Anneís presentation was entitled Investigating Functional Inverses from the Concrete to the Symbolic and Richard presented Using Multiple Representations to Enhance Instruction of Sequences and Series.
- The 3rd Summer Leadership Institute was held June 4-28, 2007. 2007 Summer colloquium schedule including links to presentations.
- Three representatives from MLI presented at the annual conferences of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics and the National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics recently. See the presentations given by Anne Papakonstantinou, Richard Parr and Jackie Sack at these conferences.
- Jason Gershman was featured in the Spring edition of Rice at Large for his contributions to RUSMP and MLI. Rice at Large is a publication of the Office of Minority Community Affairs and the Office of the Associate Provost of Rice University.
- MLI Co-Manager Dr. Jackie Sack attended the 28th Annual Meeting of PME-NA, the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education. The meeting was held in Merida, Mexico from November 9 to 12, 2006. See the poster, A View of High School Mathematics Curricula Through the Lens of Schwab's Commonplaces, that Jackie presented for the event.
- MLI Co-Manager Dr. Jackie Sack and MLI Lead Teacher Karen Luke, Aldine ISD, presented at the Texas Association of Supervisors of Mathematics (TASM) Fall Meeting.
- The 2nd Summer Leadership Institute was held June 5-30, 2006. 2006 Summer colloquium schedule including links to presentations
- RUSMP hosted a reception for RUSMP and MLI participants at CAMT on Friday July 21, 2006.
- MLI Lead Teacher Katrina Cushenberry and RUSMP Master Teacher Susan Troutman and attended the 2006 Leadership Seminar Mathematics Professional Development February 15-18, 2006 in Portland, Oregon.
- A joint meeting for MLI lead teachers and administrators was held Thursday January 26, 2006 at the M.O. Campbell Educational Center. Dr. Jackie Sack's presentation for this meeting
- The "Closing the Achievement Gap" conference was featured in a story on KUHF-FM.
- The RUSMP conference on "Closing the Achievement Gap" was held on June 6, 2005 at Pin Oak Middle School underwritten by the Southwest Educational Development Laboratory. Assistant Secretary of Education, Dr. Susan Sclafani, presented the keynote presentation and the SEDL Closing the Achievement Gap website was featured.
- 2005 MLI summer colloquium schedule
- Rice University and RUSMP's National Science Foundation grant, the Mathematics Leadership Institute, was cited in the National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics Winter Newsletter 2004. Instruction. Articles about the $3.8 million award also appeared in the Houston Business Journal (Week of January 7-13, 2005), The Memorial Examiner (January 24, 2005), The Northwest News (January 28, 2005), Ascribe: The Public Interest Newswire (January 28, 2005), The Houston Chronicle (December 29, 2004), and The Rice News Volume 14, Number 17 (December 16, 2004).