Welcome New Students
Congratulations on your admission to Rice University! My name is Ligia Leismer and I am
the Academic Programs Coordinator for the Mathematics Department. We will work
together throughout your stay here at Rice. If you have questions about anything
concerning your studies at Rice I am a good place to start, so always feel free to come to
me with any questions you may have.
IMPORTANT DATES & DEADLINES:
MONDAY, AUGUST 14 & 15: Mandatory Orientation for all International Students
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 16: Deadline for Online General Graduate Student Orientation
FRIDAY AUGUST 18: Mandatory Mathematics Department Orientation for ALL
Required of all new graduate students:
• Health Data Form Due July 1 in Student Health Services. You will not be permitted to register for classes until Health Services has the form and is satisfied with your immunization records.
• Rice Student Health Insurance Register or waive Rice health insurance by August 31st. All students are required to have health insurance coverage. Open Enrollment for Rice Student Health Insurance for Fall 2023: July 1st – August 31st.
• Final Transcript Submit Official Final Transcript due October 1st to Ligia Leismer, Academic Program Coordinator (Office HBH 210) Electronic Transcripts to the attention of email@example.com
• Payment of fees, insurance, and any tuition not covered by scholarship is due by September 10th in the Cashier’s office (there will be a late fee if payment is not received by this date). You will receive a bill in July from Rice University.
• Consult the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies New Student Checklist for more information.
Required of all international students:
NOTE: All new international students starting their program or arriving in the U.S. for the first time in the Fall 2023 must complete the mandatory immigration check-in and attend their respective orientation program. Upon completing all 4 required steps, you will be in compliance and ready to begin your program at Rice University. For more information visit the website for the Office for International Students and Scholars
I will be sending you more information throughout the summer via email concerning various matters. Please be sure to set up and regularly check your Rice e-mail since this is the address the university as well as the department will use to use to send you updates and information.
Have a terrific summer and I look forward to meeting you in August!