Application Deadline: January 5, 2023
Late applications may be considered until April 15th, 2023. However, candidates who miss the initial deadline place themselves in a less competitive position.
How to apply to the mathematics graduate study program:
Students applying for admission to our graduate program are asked to submit the following.
1. Application Form:
A completed online application for admission.
2. Official Transcripts:
Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to the Department at the address given below. During the admissions process we allow the use of unofficial transcripts (including photocopies or non-certified electronic copies). However our acceptance letter, if offered, is provisional until we receive your official transcripts.
The University requires a minimum GPA of 3.0.
Three letters of recommendation from faculty who are familiar with the applicant's scholastic and personal qualities.
Neither the GRE mathematics subject exam nor the GRE general exam are required. Rice’s central graduate school application may provide an entry field for including such a score, but applicants may leave this blank as the mathematics department will not use them in their admission decisions.
- Rice goes GRE-optional for grad programs.
- Rice will grant fee waivers to graduates of Texas schools, and will waive application fees for doctoral applicants who are graduates of institutions in Texas and bordering states.
- For more details, read the full announcement from Rice’s Public Affairs Office: here.
5. Statement of Purpose:
Applicants must submit a statement of purpose of between 2-4 pages in length. This statement should explain why the applicant is a good fit for the program as well as possible research interests and professional goals.
6. TOEFL and IELTS Requirements (for foreign applicants)
Applicants whose native language is not English must submit either a TOEFL or IELTS score. The ETS Reporting code for Rice University is 6609. The minimum scores required by the University are as follows:
- 600 on the paper-based (PBT) TOEFL
- 90 on the internet-based (iBT) TOEFL
- 250 on the computer-based (BT) TOEFL
- 7 on the IELTS (if taken in lieu of TOEFL)
A $85 nonrefundable application fee paid online by credit card or electronic check.
- For 2022, Rice will waive application fees for doctoral applicants who are graduates of institutions in Texas and bordering states Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma and New Mexico or who have a permanent address in these states.
- If an applicant can demonstrate that they qualify for work-study or other serious financial burdens, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration of a fee-waiver.
Please have this material sent to the following address:
Mathematics Graduate Admissions
6100 Main Street, MS136
Houston, TX 77005-1982
Rice University is committed to affirmative action and equal opportunity in education and employment. Rice does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status.